One Semester(1/2 credit) Semester offered: (Second) Grade level open to: 10, 11, 12 Prerequisites: None Content:This course is designed to give the students an understanding of the theory of house
construction with emphasis placed on safe use of hand power equipment.
Besides field trips to the High School House, student projects may include building saw horses, scaffolding brackets, a dog house, play house or shed.
Students can expect to:
- participate in field trips to "High School House"
- engage in activities at the High School House including foundation work, wall construction, siding, roofing, sheet rocking, deck construction, concrete slab work, and landscaping.
Students will learn :
- to read a set of house plans
- basic measurements and surveying - lot layout
- setting grades and elevations
- setting batter boards
- concrete work, floor layout, wall layout
- provide own transportation to High School house or ride with a friend
- rafter and truss layout
- sheeting, siding, roofing, painting, and finishing
- career information and job search information on occupations related to the construction industry